Changes should be made with care as they will affect the entire operation of WorkflowMax for the
To view or change your
- In the Business menu, select Settings >
- On the
OrganisationSettings screen, view or change your organisationsettings as required.Account Field Description Name
Specifies the name of your
organisation– used in quotes/estimates, invoices, reports and anywhere that the name is used in WorkflowMax. Time Zone
The time zone you selected when you created your account. The time zone is used to ensure consistent day/time information is recorded when staff are entering time sheets in more than one time zone, such as New Zealand and Australia, for example.
Specifies text to show on invoices and quotes/estimates issued by the
organisation(displayed in the top right of the default template). Typically, it includes your postal address and contact details. Initially this field contains only the company name and phone number you provided when you signed up for the free trial.
We recommend that you add your GST, VAT or tax number in this field as there is no separate data field for this information.
Specifies the heading to use for tasks in your quotes, job briefs, purchase orders, invoice statements and invoices, when printing using the system default or a custom print template. You can rename it from Tasks if there is a term that will better fit your business. For example, Activities. See PreferenceTaskHeading in Merge field reference.
Folder heading Specifies the heading to use for folders in your quotes, when printing using a custom print template. You can rename it from Folders if there is a term that will better fit your business. For example, Categories, Phases, Deliverables. See PreferenceFolderHeading in Merge field reference. Unassigned folder name Specifies the heading to use for the Unassigned folder in your quotes, when printing using the system default or a custom print template. The Unassigned folder contains tasks and costs that have not been assigned to a specific folder. You can rename it from Unassigned if there is a term that will better fit your business. For example, Unallocated, Miscellaneous.
Specifies the heading to use for costs in your quotes, job briefs, purchase orders, invoice statements and invoices, when printing using the system default or a custom print template. You can rename it from Costs if there is a term that will better fit your business. For example, Disbursements, Materials. See PreferenceCostHeading in Merge field reference.
Specifies the heading to use for optional extras in your quotes, when printing using the system default or a custom print template. You can rename it if there is a term that will better fit your business. For example, Optional Services, Upgrades, Alternative Options. See PreferenceOptionHeading in Merge field reference.Client
Show Postal Address
If this checkbox is:
- selected, the Address (for clients listed in the All Clients screen) will be the postal address.
- deselected, the default address is shown.
Field Description Markup %
All costs added to a job will be marked up by this percentage, unless:
- a standard price has been set in Business > Settings > Costs, or
- this markup value is specifically over-ridden in the Business > Settings > Client Settings > Client Type > Markup % field, or
- this markup value is specifically over-ridden in the cost screen's Calculate Markup dialog when the cost is added.
Round Unit Price
This will round the unit price of a cost in a job to two or four decimal places.
If this checkbox is:
- selected, new costs added to a job will be billable
- deselected, new costs added to a job will be non-billable.
Field Description Tax Name
Specifies the name of your sales tax (such as GST, VAT) as it will appear on quotes, invoices, statements and reports. Together with the tax rate (below), it appears in the Tax drop-down in a draft invoice.
Specifies the standard tax rate that will be applied to all of your sales, provided the client is not flagged as Zero rated GST.Lock Dates
If this checkbox is:
- selected, you can specify a date to lock WIPWork In Progress in WorkflowMax is all uninvoiced staff time and disbursements recorded on client jobs.. Users will then be unable to:
- add, edit or delete time sheets or job costs up to and including this date
- receipt a purchase order, where the receipt date falls prior to the lock date
- move a time sheet that falls prior to the lock date
- import job costs, where the cost date falls prior to the lock date.
If this checkbox is:
- selected, you can specify a date to lock a period. Users will then be unable to:
- add, edit or delete invoices up to and including this date
- import invoices from Xero prior to this date.
If you undo a WIP write-off in a job, then WorkflowMax will recover all WIP that was previously written off, as far back as the current lock date. It will not recover WIP that was written off before the lock date.
If you apply a Period Lock Date then a WIP Lock Date must also be applied.Job
Specifies the job stateJob states usually match the stages in your company's job workflow, such as Planned, In Progress or Completed. By adding notifications to each job state, you can communicate to key people how a job is progressing - and when it's time for them to take action. that will be assigned to all jobs by default when they are first created.
For example, if you create jobs in bulk at the start of the financial year, select a job state called Planned. However, if you create jobs as you start working on them, select a job state called In Progress.
Specifies the default job template that will apply for all new jobs. Select the job template for the most common type of job you perform.
Specifies the job state that a job will automatically move to once a final invoice has been created. The job state will not change as long as there is unbilled WIPWork In Progress in WorkflowMax is all uninvoiced staff time and disbursements recorded on client jobs. in the job, regardless of progress or final invoices created.
My Jobs List
Specifies the list of jobs to display in the quick links panel under the task pane for each staff member.
Specifies how you want tasks in a job to be ordered. If you select Custom then a button called Reorder Tasks will show under the tasks in a job.
WorkflowMax allows you to base your billing on the task billable rateTask billing is a client billing method based on billable rates associated with specific tasks. This method is useful if you usually have standard rates for a specific task, regardless of which staff members are working on it. Compare Staff billing. for the task being worked on, or on the staff billable ratesStaff billing is a client billing method based on billable rates associated with specific staff members. This method is useful if you have several staff working on a task but wish to charge them out at different rates, based on their experience, for example. Compare Task billing. of the individuals working on the task.
In general, you would choose:
- Task Billable Rate if all your employees are charged out at the same
labourrate when they are working on the same task.
- Staff Billable Rate if you have (for example) a Junior Designer and a Senior Designer both working on the same design task. This will ensure that the client is billed for the hours worked by each staff member at the appropriate junior or senior hourly rate.
All jobs in WorkflowMax rely on this preference setting to determine which type of billing to use.
The Task Invoice Rate set here becomes the default for each new job. If you change this setting it will not affect existing jobs – only new jobs created after the change.
You can change the Task Invoice Rate for a specific job in the Financial tab of that job (follow the click here link in the Financial Settings section).
If you set Task Invoice Rate to:
- Staff Billable Rate, you must also set Time Allocation to Staff , or you won't be able to save your current changes.
- Task Billable Rate, you can set Time Allocation to Staff or Task.
For staff who have been allocated to work on specific tasks (normally done when adding a task to a job), you can use the Time Allocation setting to control if they can be allocated an amount of time to work on a task. If a staff member is then allocated time to work on a task, that time is shown against the job task for reporting and scheduling purposes only - it does not limit the amount of time that can be recorded against the task.
If you set Time Allocation to:
For staff members who have been assigned to a job, Staff Task Allocation controls how they can record time against the tasks in the job.
Inherit from Job: The staff member can record time against any task that has not been allocated to another staff member.
Explicit: The staff member can record time against a task only if he or she has been explicitly allocated to the task. If you select this option, job creation and job administration will be more time consuming, as you have to allocate individual staff member to each task. However, this option offers greater control of how time is managed in a job.More about staff allocation and job scheduling
To find out more about the staff time allocated to specific jobs, you can run the Staff Allocation report, available on the Jobs > Jobs > Staff Allocation (tab). For further details see Staff allocation view.
Scheduling your jobs, tasks and milestones (3 min 35 sec.)use the interactive job schedule editor to schedule your jobs, tasks and milestones.
When calculating the Estimated billings...
This checkbox controls how estimated billings are calculated and displayed for jobs – not how the billable amounts in invoices are calculated.
Specifically, this affects the estimated billings displayed in the:
- Estimated Billings panel in the WIPWork In Progress in WorkflowMax is all uninvoiced staff time and disbursements recorded on client jobs. Manager, and
- Estimated Billings section in the job's Financial tab.
If this checkbox is:
- selected, the estimated billings will be based on the quoted/estimated values for tasks and costs (but only for jobs that have an accepted quote/estimate).
It's possible to have multiple quotes/estimates for a job, but estimated billings are based on the 'master quoteWorkflowMax operates on the basis of one 'master quote' per job. The master quote is the most recently accepted quote on that job. It is this master quote that will determine what can be invoiced. If you create a new quote to deal with variations to the quoted work, the new quote becomes the master quote and supersedes the previous master quote. The previous master quote is retained and is still associated with the job, but it is available for reference purposes only.' - the most recently accepted quote/estimate.
- deselected, the estimated billings will be based on actual times worked and actual costs (for all jobs, with or without an accepted quote/estimate).
The value of estimated billings will flow through to your invoice and will normally be the value you actually bill your client for, unless you edit the invoice to write time up or down, change cost items, mark items as non-billable, or add additional time or costs directly to the invoice.More on write ons and write offs
If this checkbox is:
- selected, new cost items added to a job to be automatically added to the Cost Admin database (Business > Settings > Costs).
Default Invoice Type
Specifies the default Invoice Type that will be selected when creating a new invoice:
- Actual Time - invoices based on actual time and costs
- Quoted/Estimated Time - invoices based on quoted time and costs.
Select the type of invoice you will use most of the time.
Specifies how the supplier invoice due date is calculated when a new invoice is created. The Payment Terms value in the Client typeA client type is a named set of payment terms, used to ensure consistency across your client base. For example, you might set up two client types: Premium, with a markup rate of 30% and payment terms of by 20th of next month, and Standard, with a markup rate of 40% and payment terms of within 7 days. When you add a new client, you can then allocate Premium or Standard payment terms, as required. settings (for details, see Adding a Client Type) will override this setting. Day
Specifies the day of the month (for Payment Terms=Next Month) or the number of days (for Payment Terms=Within Days). Initially set to "Within Days 0".
Time Sheet Notes
Specifies if (or how) you want time sheet notes to be displayed in the invoice.
Sets the default percentage that will show in a progress invoiceA Progress invoice should be used for on-going jobs, or jobs where there is a likelihood of further time or costs being added to the job. (only when the invoice is created from the Financial tab of a job), when:
- invoicing a percentage of a quoted value, and
- when there is an accepted quote or estimate in a job.
Initially set to 50%.
Specifies the text that you want to appear at the bottom of all invoices. In custom print templates this is the «PreferenceTerms» merge field.Payment Advice
Specifies the text to display beneath the dotted 'tear off here' line in the Payment Advice area in invoices. In custom print templates this is the «PaymentAdviceHeading» merge field.
Specifies the text to display in the Payment Advice. For example, details of your bank account that the clients should make payment to. In custom print templates this is the «PaymentAdviceText» merge field.Purchase Order
Specifies the order in which jobs are displayed when creating purchase orders in bulk.
Default Delivery Address
Specifies the default delivery address used in a new purchase order.
Specifies the text printed at the bottom of a purchase order. In custom print templates this is the «PreferenceTerms» merge field.Purchase Receipt
Specifies how the supplier invoice due date is calculated when receipting a purchase order.
Specifies the day of the month (for Payment Terms=Next Month) or the number of days (for Payment Terms=Within Days). Initially set to "Within Days 0".Quote/EstimateReports
Specifies the format that will be used when displaying time in a report.Time Sheets
Specifies the method that staff will use to record time sheets.
- Time Duration – the actual number of hours/minutes worked
- Start/Finish – the times that work started and finished.
Enables/disables the ability to enter time in bulk, for an entire week. If this setting is:
- Enabled - the Weekly tab is available on the My Time Sheet screen (Dashboard > Enter Time).
- Disabled - the Weekly tab is not available.
Specifies which day your working week begins on. This will also affect how the week will display in the schedules.
Specifies whether you want time entries to be rounded to the nearest 5, 6, 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes for invoicing. WorkflowMax always rounds up to the selected setting.
Rounding may create problems with inflated time sheets and can impact productivity measures.
Specifies the order in which jobs are displayed (in the Jobs drop-down list) when entering time sheets. May be set to:
- Client (default) - jobs are listed in alphabetical order of client name.
- Job Number - jobs are listed in ascending order of job number.
Specifies the order in which tasks are displayed (in the Tasks drop-down list) when entering time sheets. May be set to:
- Alphabetical (default) - tasks are listed in alphabetical order.
- Job Order - tasks are listed in the order they appear in the job.
- Save your changes.