The staff import feature is available for WorkflowMax Premium and Xero Practice Manager accounts only.
Use these instructions to import generic CSV or TXT data for a list of staffStaff are members of your organisation who perform work for your clients. Staff are usually set up as users in WorkflowMax so that they can login to enter time sheets, produce reports or invoices or perform other job-related activities..
Before you begin
Before you import data into WorkflowMax, you need to prepare a suitable import file.
- Make sure that the sequence numbers used in your input data records are set up to match the sequence numbers set up in WorkflowMax. For further details, see Numbering of jobs, quotes, invoices and purchase orders.
- In your import file, each column header identifies a data field that you want to include in your import. You need specify column headers for only those fields that you want to import.
- Unless you are importing custom fields, do not include any column headers that are not shown in the sample file (see below).
- Make sure that you have removed any columns that do not contain data. This is especially important if you are using the Update existing? option, as blank fields will replace existing non-blank data.
- The column headers in your import file must match the format of the column headers in the sample file exactly. You must use the same
capitalisation, with any spaces, punctuation or other characters as shown.
- Make sure that you save the import file in the correct format: CSV or tab-delimited TXT.
- Make sure there are no carriage-return characters in any of the data fields. These characters are created by pressing the Enter key and may have been included in the original data to break text onto several lines; in an address, for example.
- Make sure there are no blank lines at the end of the data file – they will produce warning messages during import.
Setting up an import file
To set up an import file, do one of the following:
- Open the Staff import.csv file using a suitable desktop application, such as Microsoft Excel.
- Remove columns that you do not wish to use (but not the mandatory columns - see Set up a file from scratch, below).
- Replace the sample data (from row 2 onwards) with the information you wish to import.
- Save the completed file in CSV format.
- Create a spreadsheet using a suitable desktop application, such as Microsoft Excel.
- Include all of the following column headers in row 1. Each column header should be in a separate column.
Copy each column header exactly (the import is case sensitive).
Name", "Email", "Base Rate", "Billable Rate", "Role"
The name of the staff member. The staff member's email address. This must be unique and not already exist in the system. Base Rate
The hourly cost of employing this staff member. If no value is defined for this in the import file, this field will be set to zero.
It's vital that you set the Base Rate to the correct value for each staff member as soon as possible, because it is used as the basis for your
labourcost reports. Billable Rate
The hourly rate that this employee is charged out at. If no value is defined for this in the import file, this field will be set to zero.
It's vital that you set the Billable Rate to the correct value for each staff member as soon as possible, because it may be used as the basis for billing the staff member's time to clients.
The staff member's role, which must be one of the following:
- Partner. Default privileges for a Partner include all permissions, except 'Edit/Delete' of General Privileges (clients/jobs), 'Delete' of Tax Privileges (cannot delete tax returns) and no Admin privileges.
- Manager. Default privileges for a Manager include all permissions, except 'Edit/Delete' of General Privileges (clients/jobs), 'Edit/Delete' of Financial Privileges, and no Admin privileges.
- Senior Accountant. Default privileges for a Senior Accountant include all permissions, except 'Edit/Delete' of Clients, Jobs and Job Costs, 'Edit/Delete' of Financial Privileges, and no Admin privileges.
- Junior Accountant. Default privileges for a Junior Accountant include most General Privileges, except 'Edit/Delete', some Tax Privileges such as viewing returns and statements, no Financial Privileges (except ability to create invoices, purchase orders and quotes), and no Admin privileges.
- Administration. Default privileges for Administration staff include all General Privileges, except the ability to 'Edit' Completed Jobs, no Tax Privileges, and no Admin and Financial Privileges, (except the ability to create invoices).
- System Administrator. Default privileges for a System Administrator include ALL permissions.
- In row 2 onwards, enter the information that you wish to import.
- Save the completed file in CSV format.
- Open a CSV or TXT file that has been exported from another application.
- Remove any columns and rows that you do not wish to use.
- Change each column header so that it exactly matches the equivalent column header listed under "Set up a file from scratch" above.
- Save the completed file in CSV or TXT format.
Notes on import data for staff
- Default privileges are assigned to each staff member based on their role.
- No email, containing login or other details, will be sent to the staff that are imported.
If the staff member's email address already exists in the system then that staff member will not be imported. A warning will be displayed that the staff member was not imported: "XXX was not imported as already exists" where XXX is the name of the staff member.
The staff import will be aborted when number of active users exceeds the user subscription
- The Update Existing checkbox cannot be used when importing staff (see below).
Importing the data
To import staff data into WorkflowMax:
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Import.
- On the Import screen, provide the following information, as required.
Field Description Options File Type
The type of file that you wish to import. Select Generic - Staff.
The format is either CSV or tab-delimited.
Controls whether existing data is overwritten with newly imported information. The Update Existing? option is not available for this import type, so selecting the checkbox will have no effect.More...
WorkflowMax will normally ignore duplicate records. This means that you can re-import a spreadsheet after making changes to it (such as adding some new records), and any duplicate records will simply be ignored.
This is generally acceptable, but there are some cases where you might wish to re-import a record to update the information that is already on file (such as a client or supplier address or for cost updates). To cater for this, some data tables support the Update Existing? feature, which allows existing data records to be updated with newly imported information.
The help information for each import type indicates clearly whether the Update Existing? feature is supported or not.
Choose the file on your computer that you wish to import.
Job Import Options
This section is required only if you are importing job data.
- Import the data. The number of rows successfully imported is displayed at the foot of the screen. If there were any errors during the import, they will be displayed at the foot of the screen.
Upgrading to WorkflowMax Premium
If you are interested in upgrading to the Premium version please contact us at support.xero.com, and we will be happy to turn on this module and answer any queries you may have.