To add a staff member to WorkflowMax, you need to enter the staff member's details in WorkflowMax, and invite the staff member to login (the staff member is automatically sent an email that includes their login credentials).
Before you begin
Before you set up any staff in WorkflowMax, please read the text below to learn more about how staff base rates, billable rates and security privileges are used.
Each staff member has a base rate and a billable rate, which are both used by WorkflowMax for important financial calculations.
A staff member's Staff Base Rate is critically important as it will be used to calculate the 'actual cost' to you of all time sheet entries written by the staff member. It also affects all actual profit calculations. The Staff Base Rate is the FULL cost to you of employing a staff member.
To calculate the rate, start with their base hourly rate (say $40.00 per hour). Then add on allowances for annual leave, sick leave, public holidays, bonuses, accident levies, superannuation and anything else that will affect their overall cost to the business. This may, for example increase the value you put into the Staff Base Rate field from $40/hour to (for example) $48.52. The more accurate this number, the more accurate will be your profitability reporting.
A staff member's Staff Billable Rate answers the question 'If someone came to you and asked to buy one hour of Mary's time (irrespective of what task/work Mary did), what would you charge them?' The value you use for a staff member's Staff Billable Rate also depends on whether you are using staff or task billing:
- Staff billing. If your Task Invoice RateThe Task Invoice Rate is a key configuration setting (set in Business > Settings > Organisation Settings > Job (Section) ). If it is set to Staff Billable, WorkflowMax will use Staff billing when calculating the cost of time spent working on a task. If it is set to Task Billable, WorkflowMax will use Task billing when calculating the cost of time spent working on a task. is set to Staff Billable, then the Staff Billable Rate is also a critical setting, as it will be used to calculate all Quotable and Billable values involving this staff member.
- Task billing. If your Task Invoice Rate is set to Task Billable, then the Staff Billable Rate for all staff may be set to 0.00. However we recommend that you do populate this field with a meaningful number, in case you should ever need to switch an individual job's Task Invoice Rate from Task Billable to Staff Billable, which can be done on the Financial tab of any job.
The following video will give you more information about how base rates and billing rates work.
Before you set up the staff member's security privilege settings, please review these examples.
Examples of using privilege settings
By changing the privilege settings on a person-by-person basis, you can control the access they have to using the features of WorkflowMax. For example:
- For a basic staff member, deselect all privileges. They can view jobs they are assigned to, and enter time against those jobs. However they cannot access the Clients or Business menus. This means that they cannot create or view clients; or view, edit and create quotes or invoices or view financial information.
- For the owner and business manager who require full access to all features, select all privileges.
- For the office administrator, who requires only administrative access, select only financial privileges.
The Job Financial Summary privilege gives access to the Job financial summary report. This report contains information that can be used to work out staff base rates for other staff. Also, the Administrator privilege allows staff to view or edit all staff base rates. You may wish to restrict access to these two privileges.
Several privileges include a Delete option. We recommend that you select the Delete option only for staff with the Administrator privilege.
Add a staff member
To add a staff member to WorkflowMax:
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Staff > Invite Staff.
- On the Invite Staff screen, provide information under the following sections, as required.
Field Description Name Employee's full name. Currently Working?
If an employee temporarily leaves the company (on unpaid leave for example), but plans to return later, deselect this checkbox to indicate they are not currently available. Their name will not appear in the list of available resources when allocating staff to a job.
Deselecting this checkbox does not prevent the staff member from accessing their account.
A staff member is counted towards your total number of subscribed users regardless of the setting of this checkbox. So, if you are currently on a 10 user subscription plan, deselecting any users who are not currently working will not affect your subscription.
The employee's email address, which they will use to log in to WorkflowMax.
Each staff member must have their own unique email address.
Any notes specific to this employee.Financial Information
Field Description Base Rate
The hourly cost of employing this staff member. This is not just their hourly rate, but may include an allowance for other costs you need to meet in relation to employing that person, such as annual leave, sick leave, ACC and superannuation. WorkflowMax will use this rate to determine the profits made on each job, so it is important that this is value is correct.
If the base rate is incorrect during time sheet entry, you will need to delete the time entry, correct the base rate and then re-enter the time.
The hourly rate that the employee is charged out at. The Billable Rate is required only if the
OrganisationSettings > Task Invoice Rate is configured as Staff Billable Rate. Payroll Code
The payroll code used in your payroll system software for this employee. This is required only if you will be interfacing with a payroll system that integrates with WorkflowMax.Contact Information
Field Description Address
Home or other contact telephone number.
Mobile telephone number.
To select (or deselect) all privileges in a specific section, select (or deselect) the Full checkbox in the Privilege header bar.General PrivilegesAdmin Privileges
Privilege Controls a user's ability to... Administrator
Work as WorkflowMax administrator with full access to all features.
Work as cost administrator with full access to cost information only.
Create, edit and delete job templates.
Create, edit and delete tasks.Financial PrivilegesInterface Information
Field Description Export Code You can add an export code to each staff record if you plan to export your time sheets to a payroll system that requires a staff identifier code.
- Save your changes. The staff member is added to WorkflowMax and an email is sent to their email address, inviting them to login.