Use these instructions to import generic CSV or TXT data for a list of leadsA lead is a possible sale opportunity for a prospective client (a prospect) or an existing client..
Before you begin
Before you import data into WorkflowMax, you need to prepare a suitable import file.
- In your import file, each column header identifies a data field that you want to include in your import. You need specify column headers for only those fields that you want to import.
- Unless you are importing custom fields, do not include any column headers that are not shown in the sample file (see below).
- The column headers in your import file must match the format of the column headers in the sample file exactly. You must use the same
capitalisation, with any spaces, punctuation or other characters as shown.
- Make sure that you save the import file in the correct format: CSV or tab-delimited TXT.
- Make sure there are no carriage-return characters in any of the data fields. These characters are created by pressing the Enter key and may have been included in the original data to break text onto several lines; in an address, for example.
- Make sure there are no blank lines at the end of the data file – they will produce warning messages during import.
Setting up an import file
To set up an import file, do one of the following:
- Open the Lead Import Example.csv file using a suitable desktop application, such as Microsoft Excel.
- Remove columns that you do not wish to use (but not the mandatory columns - see Set up a file from scratch, below).
- Replace the sample data (from row 2 onwards) with the information you wish to import.
- Save the completed file in CSV format.
- Create a spreadsheet using a suitable desktop application, such as Microsoft Excel.
- Include two or more of the following column headers in row 1. Each column header should be in a separate column.
Copy each column header exactly (the import is case sensitive).
"Client", "Name", "Description", "Estimated Value" "Address1", "Address2", "Address3", "Address4", "Address5", "City", "Region", "PostCode", "Country", "PostalAddress1", "PostalAddress2", "PostalAddress3", "PostalAddress4", "PostalAddress5", "PostalCity", "PostalRegion", "PostalPostCode", "PostalCountry", "Phone", "Fax", "WebSite", "ExportCode", "ReferralSource", "AccountManager", "Contact", "ContactPosition", "ContactPhone", "ContactMobile", "ContactEmail","ContactSalutation", "ContactAddressee"
- In row 2 onwards, enter the information that you wish to import.
- Save the completed file in CSV format.
- Open a CSV or TXT file that has been exported from another application.
- Remove any columns and rows that you do not wish to use.
- Change each column header so that it exactly matches the equivalent column header listed under "Set up a file from scratch" above.
- Save the completed file in CSV or TXT format.
Notes on import data for leads
- Clients will be imported as prospectsProspective clients (prospects) are clients who you haven't actively done work for yet. Prospects are created directly from the Client manager + New button; if you add a new prospect to a new lead; or if you import leads and the clients don't already exist. if they do not already exist as clients in WorkflowMax.
- The Name field refers to the lead name, which will become the job name, once the lead has been marked as "won".
- Re-importing a lead for a specific client/prospect will result in a duplicate lead record being added to the lead manager.
- The Update Existing checkbox cannot be used when importing leads (see below).
Importing the data
To import leads data into WorkflowMax:
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Import.
- On the Import screen, provide the following information, as required.
Field Description Options File Type
The type of file that you wish to import. Select Generic - Lead.
The format is either CSV or tab-delimited.
Controls whether existing data is overwritten with newly imported information. The Update Existing? option is not available for this import type, so selecting the checkbox will result in an error message.
Choose the file on your computer that you wish to import.
Job Import Options
This section is required only if you are importing job data.
- Import the data. The number of rows successfully imported is displayed at the foot of the screen. If there were any errors during the import, they will be displayed at the foot of the screen.