Gavin George Jan 22 •
Official WorkflowMax / Invoicing
You have two options when you raise an invoice:
As a rule you should always use the Progress Invoice option unless the job has been completed and only then should you use the 'New Invoice' button.
The 'New Invoice' option is a final invoice. Raising a final invoice has a significant impact on the job. Any items that are not ticked to be invoiced on the final invoice, when invoicing based on quoted value, will be written off.
As an example if you have a job that includes several cost items, upon raising your initial 'New Invoice' or final quote based invoice, you decide to untick some of these line items so as to not invoice them this time around, the line items you deselect will be written off, and you will be unable to invoice them in the future. The only way to retrieve these tasks or costs to invoice would be to cancel or delete the invoice.
Raising a New invoice (Final invoice) will remove the job from the invoice list (estimated billings tab on the Invoice Manager menu). Adding a cost or more time will put the job back in the list but the previously written off time will not be available to invoice.
If you have created a Progress invoice rather than a New (Final) invoice at the end of the job and the job is now finished, you can write off the remaining time simply by removing the job from the invoice list from the Financial tab of the job.
Gavin George Jan 16 •
Official WorkflowMax / Announcements
We've made changes that make it easier to file activity statements on behalf of your clients, with improvements to Tax for Australian partners.
New confirmation details for filed Activity Statements
Once you have successfully lodged an activity statement with the ATO, the date and time, and a Xero lodgement number will be stored in the history tab as confirmation of this lodgment.
The date and time can be used when contacting the ATO, and the Xero lodgment number can be used when contacting our support team.
Complete Activity Statements – how to access the history of an activity statement.
Support for non-standard client branch numbers
You can now add a non-standard Branch/CAC/ICA number to a client’s record. This will enable you to submit tax forms on behalf of this client, even when their Branch/CAC/ICA is not the standard 001.
Edit a Branch/CAC/ICA number for a client
Improvements to the Activity Statement integration with Xero
We’ve improved the integration between the Activity Statement in WorkflowMax Practice Manager and Xero.
The name of a connected Xero organisation can now easily be identified and disconnected if the wrong organisation was linked up.
Update from Xero - how to link a Xero organisation
Also, the Published Xero activity statement fields G2, G3, G10 and G11 now transpose correctly for BAS forms G and Y.
Improving the chances of a successful lodgment
To increase the number of successful lodgments of tax forms to the ATO, we have enhanced the way that Tax deals with submission retries. This means you will spend less time dealing with lodgments that cannot be submitted to the ATO.
When there is an issue communicating with the ATO (the system may be busy), Tax will retry more often to send the form before creating an error.
- An increase in the number of retries and the length of time we will retry. We were retrying every five minutes for up to three retries, we’re now going to try once an hour for six hours, increasing the chances of successful lodgement.
Activity statement form updates
The range of clients you can manage and accuracy will be increased with the changes we have made to the activity statement forms.
We’ve made some updates and improvements to the Activity Statement forms you may have to file for your clients which will reduce errors and increase accuracy. These improvements are:
Field 7a - now available for BAS forms G and Y so clients with deferred GST can complete and file the business activity statement.
Field 1A - now populated to BAS forms S and T to reduce errors when left blank.
Field T11 - when using option 2 for PAYGI and varying the rate, the varied rate field T11 is now sent to the ATO.
BAS form D option 3 - fixed a prefill mismatch on BAS form D option 3 which generates an error.
Improved validation - to remind you when fields need to be filled in and avoid attempting to file a return that will be rejected. For example you’ve not selected an option for PAYG installments or Withholding. No amounts entered at W1 or W2, no amounts entered at 7D.
Activity Statements for clients in the Northern Territory can now be filed
The ATO have an issue where they are not accepting lodgments for clients with Northern Territory postcodes. The ATO are aware of this issue and plan to resolve it in a future release. We’ve applied an update to resolve this, and clients that have a Northern Territory postcode can now have returns submitted to the ATO.
Gavin George August 23, 2012 •
Video Tutorials / Recorded Webinars
Joanna Bellis March 18, 2011 •
Official WorkflowMax / Getting Started
So you've signed up, logged in, what next?
Below is a checklist covering the standard process of setting up and customising your system, getting your data into WorkflowMax from your previous systems, and entering jobs which may already be in progress. It is not intended as a detailed guide, but a checklist to cover the implementation and migration process. Furthermore, not each step is required so you may decide that some steps below do not apply to your business.
At the bottom of this page you can download a PDF 'Quick Start Guide' that covers off all of core areas of setup you need to go through.
Please refer to the documentation and tutorials for more in-depth information on any of these topics.
- If using an integrated accounting system such as Xero complete the integration via Admin-Interfaces
- Import clients, contacts and suppliers either via a CSV or via the integrated accounting system
- Define tasks, job statuses, job categories
- Import costs/products/inventory items
- Set up Staff
- Set up any notifications, such as for new jobs, changes to job states, milestones and estimated vs actual threshold breaches
- Customise WorkflowMax - upload your logo and banner, define your email settings, personalise your Invoice, Payment, Quote and Purchase Order details, customise your job and quote numbering (Admin-Preferences click Edit Number Sequences on the left)
Set up my jobs
You can import basic job data into WorkflowMax to get you up and running, but you will have to configure other details for each job. You can choose to only enter new jobs after your go-live date, and phase out your old jobs (ie run two systems during a cut-over period) or you can migrate your on-going jobs so you can go-live with all your jobs at a particular date.
- Select a date after which all new jobs should be entered directly into WorkflowMax (perhaps the start of a week or month to keep reporting tidy). This is your "go-live" date
- Depending on the number of open jobs you have, select a date a week or two before your go-live date. This will be your "migration" period. All open jobs during this period can be entered into WorkflowMax, with an outstanding balance owed. You can enter the timesheets and costs on the job if you want to be able to produce reports on these jobs, or just start with a single cost item showing the outstanding balance on the job.
- We don't advise entering historical data
Job Management Process
The Job Management process, including the optional Lead Manager module, is as follows:
- Create the Lead in the Lead Manager (Optional)
- Create a quote or estimate (Optional)
- Accept the quote from the Quote Manager menu, or mark the Lead as "Won" - this will create a job based on either the Lead or Quote, or "Lost" - no further action will be taken.
- If there was no quote/estimate required simply go to the Job menu and click New Job.
- Once the job is created, you can schedule it, assign it to staff, change the status, add some milestones and monitor costs and progress on the job. Raise a deposit on the quote if required.
- Create Purchase Orders for your cost items, and receipt the Purchase Orders as the goods and supplier invoices are delivered
- Create Progress Invoices throughout the life of the job, or a New [Final] Invoice on completion of the job
- Report and analysis of the financial and scheduling aspects of the job